Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Checking In

Share it Please
     I made it to Portland okay and am slowly finding my way around the transit system and the university campus. I'm pretty excited about everything starting up at the same time for me. I've even been on a job interview that looks promising. I did have a bit of a hiccup when I first arrived here – the apartment that I had arranged was not suitable (I'm very easy going, so for me to say that... well... you get the idea) so I moved into a new place just a few days later. I'm safe, happy, and eating like a typical college student now.

The transition has been a bit of a shock to me. The plants around here are 100% different than what we have in Texas. I'm constantly in awe of all the roses (it is the Rose City, after all), lavender, shrubbery, and other flora that is new to me. The flowers are blooming, which is odd to me. In Texas at this time of year, things are pretty much scorched and dried up. Blooming happens around mid April and lasts about 6 to 8 weeks if we're lucky, but here it's just now getting to the full show. I'm so impressed.

People are constantly out and about biking, skateboarding, roller blading, walking, and running. People love their animals around here and I'm always seeing people walking their dogs when they're out and about. I'm still very amazed about the landscape here. It is so gorgeous!

My mom came to visit me for orientation at the school this past weekend and we took a day trip out to Mt. Hood. I've lived on the east coast before and I thought that I had seen mountains before, but this is just spectacular. I know I'm barely seeing any mountains, but wow – this is great. We got out at Timberline Lodge and it was snowing! People were in shorts and skis! So great.

I cannot wait until I am able to move the rest of my family up here and take them around to see what I've already been able to experience. I'm so lucky and so happy that I stuck things out those first few days when I was really considering going home.

My diet has taken a turn, that's for sure. My cabinet right now holds panda puff cereal, peanut butter, rice cakes, Progresso Lentil and Vegetable soups, rice sticks, hot cereal, and some bulk rice. I have some frozen veg, Van's GF Waffles – blueberry, yum!, pasta sauce, potatoes and onions. I need to grab some more soy milk soon. That's pretty much been my diet; lots of pasta and vegetables. I do miss cooking for other people and while others might still eat with me, it's just not the same when you know you're cooking for someone you love and their health, too.

On that note, I really don't know when I'll be able to see the boyfriend again, things are so tight with money after that second move I had to make, so we'll see how things turn out. I will be going to see him for the holidays, but as far as him moving up, I don't know when that will happen. I'm going to try and find a very cheap apartment for us to rent, even if it's only a 1 bedroom and get us on our feet long enough to get something else lined up. I'm so excited for this time in our life and I really want to make this work. Just have to bust my butt for it to work. On the good side of that, he did just get a raise at work and hopefully that will help a bit for our savings.

That's all for now, I'll keep you guys updated. I have a few recipes that I tested out before I left Texas that turned out really well. I'll be posting those soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Follow The Author